Wednesday 18 December 2013

Day 19 (Again)

Day 19:

Hello again, I am here to rant.

There's a plus size fashion store I absolutely adore. It's called City Chic and it is the best plus sized store you will ever see. They cater for young, modern women, unlike most plus size stores that just have a lot of black and baggy things, and honestly, suit much older women. It's really hard for me, as a plus sized teen, to find clothing that fits me decently and actually looks like nice. My biggest issue with clothing is that it either accomodates to width or length, like if I was short it would be fine, but the fabric is stretched out width ways, so there's little left for length so my skirts/dresses end up being far too short.

Anyway, the first time I got go into their store in Hamilton Mall and properly try on clothes, it was the best experience of my life. Like, there was never an issue of anything not fitting, of anything being too short, and everything was flattering to my body shape and it was just amazing, and I ended up buying a lovely dress, that I've worn to multiple occasions! In fact, here's a picture:

Second from left btw

Anyway, you're probably all wondering, "She said rant, and I don't see any rant, this is all glowing praise!"
Just wait, I'm getting there.

So basically, I have absolutely no issue with the clothing (Although tbh it's a bit pricey!!) or the store I went to (the workers were so lovely) my real issue is with the site.

 "But what's wrong with it?" You ask. Layout? Breakdowns? No. My real issue is the models.

Maybe it's just because I am plus sized, when I see a size 14 woman, I do not think she is "plus sized". I honestly do not understand why 14 is considered a plus size and is even in plus sized clothing stores. Is this descrimination? Not really, but I guess it is also a compliment?

So, there are four different models used on the City Chic website, and all four of them are Size 14 women. You would think that in a plus size store, they would use an average size? Because when women are shopping are plus sized stores, my first bet is that they're not going be size 14. There are so many places that stock size 14 clothing that it would be much easier (and cheaper) to go into your everyday glassons, or kmart, or wherever they would like, because there is always clothing in their size there. 

When a plus size woman goes onto that website and just sees size 14 women rocking all these clothes so nicely, will she not just think "well they're tiny anyway so how do I really know if it would look nice?" 

But honestly, maybe it is just me. Because that's exactly what I think. Even in a plus size store, the smallest size possible is the one advertised everywhere and you get no diversity at all. Not a 16, not an 18, not a 20. The not-so-plus-sized woman showing off clothes for a plus sized store. Just for me, it makes me really angry. I'm not trying to shame the models themselves by the way, they have the loveliest bodies and they're all like crazy beautiful, obviously it isn't their fault that they're a nice shape and I'm not trying to attack them.

Maybe I am actually over thinking this and over generalising plus sized women and maybe I will upset someone who stumbles across this but hopefully someone agrees with me so I don't seem so crazy.

Anyway yeah, that is all. I hope someone reads this and finds this interesting.

Goodbye!! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment